Updates have taken a back seat for a while due to the arrival of our Yorkshire baby. We thought it would be nice to update with the making of the nursery to stick with our new baby life.
The nursery is in our box room. Originally it had purple wall paper, textured paper on the ceiling and an old brown carpet. We didn’t know the sex of the baby so had to try and think of something neutral. Luckily Chris’s brother is a graphic designer and has a steady hand! He designed us a castle mural for the wall with the idea being it could be changed to suit a boy or girl. He put forward the idea of a sky theme for the rest of the walls/ceiling in an ombré style of different blues.
Preparing the room/Walls
We used a Black and Decker wallpaper stripper to get rid of the purple paper and ceiling paper. It is well worth the money for the time saved. Nic was heavily pregnant at the time and found it made light work of the walls and ceilings. We were left with a patchy coating of distemper on the walls which the paper had been covering. We used a variety of products to try and get rid of the distemper and prep the walls properly with varying results.
Unfortunately due to miscommunication and a bit of “ah it’ll be alright” we ended up having to scrape and re paint one of the walls due to the paint bubbling and peeling. I will cover this in a heading below with what worked for us.
To get rid of the distemper and prep the walls
Sander- We used a plate sander to get rid of some of the distemper, this worked well in some patches but in other places we just ended up with a sanded layer of green.
Scraper- We had the best results with a 3.5 inch scraper. This took a while to do in some places but we found it worked the best.
Sugar soap wipes- We bought in to the idea that these would be easy to use and save us loads of time. Not worth it! It was probably down to the amount of prep needed and amount of distemper on the wall but we found them useless.
Sugar soap diluted in water- This took a while and added drying time but this seemed to do the trick and got us the best results of clean smooth walls.
Filler- Originally we had thought about getting the walls re plastered/skimmed but decided to try a cheaper option first. Some areas had holes from old TV stand and shelves being screwed in to the walls. There were a few areas of damaged plaster around the window. We just used a simple filler on these parts and once dry sanded the patch to make it blend in to the wall
We opted for the B&Q Colours brand of paint in 4 different shades of blue, we found other brands didn’t have as much choice of different shades. The darkest blue was put on the ceiling and the lightest around the bottom of the room with the other two in between blended to make the walls look like sky. We didn’t stick to the true ombré method but it turned out pretty good. We started by putting the lightest colour around the bottom quarter of the room. Leaving a small gap between the colours, we painted a strip a shade darker above. We then got another brush and blended the two colours in to the gap, we added a bit of extra paint of both shades to get better coverage. We used brushes for all of the painting, this helped us to blend the colours better and added to the sky effect.
Chris’s brother designed a picture of a castle on his laptop in sections, using the Disney Cinderella castle for inspiration. We had an old electronic projector which we were able to hook up to the laptop. We used this to draw in pencil on the wall following the outline from the projected image. We also put masking tape over the drawn on picture to avoid spill over from the blue paint on to the castle and to ensure the ombré effect on all of the wall . The castle was painted white with turquoise and gold towers/roofing. We have since used sharpie pens to draw around the castle to make it stand out more and to add details. The castle is still a work in progress with a plan to add more detail and some patterns around it e.g. fire works.
Once the paint had dried, half of the wall pictured here had bubbled and peeled away in places. We left it a while to see if anymore would bubble or come away and to think how we could fix it. More paint did not work and we weren’t quite sure why. The only thing for it was to peel off a section of the paint and see what was wrong with the wall underneath. Here is where the miss communication comes in. Before painting, the walls hadn’t been prepared properly as we all thought each other had finished that section off. There were patches of distemper left. People suggested using PVA glue and water to seal the wall once we had taken the paint off, we were going to go with that idea but decided to scrape off the bottom third of the paint and scrape off the remaining distemper and sand and sugar soap the wall again. This took forever and taught us a valuable lesson in doing it right the first time! (which was the main advice we found online.)
Once all the paint was dry we sanded the skirting boards and window ledge and gave them a new lick of white paint. We had a new carpet put in and baby furniture from Mamas and papas. Call it a case of baby brain but we didn’t account for the door opening in to the room when we chose the furniture so there is now a chest of draws in our room. We got an ikea lamp shade which looks like a cloud to go with the sky theme and installed a black out blind. It is a small room but looks very cute